American Forest Management Office Locations:
Founded in South Carolina in 1966, AFM continues to have a strong presence in SC as well as throughout the entire Southeast. With offices from Virginia to Texas, AFM offers a comprehensive range of professional forestry, mapping, forest inventory and real estate services. Our clients consist of large and small private landowners including family forest owners, investors, institutional organizations and industrial companies. With a wide range of technical expertise and professional staff, AFM manages a variety of natural resource projects for multiple clients.
We currently manage 3.2 million acres of forestland throughout the Southeast. Our forestland management is tailored to our clients’ needs, from timber utilization to wildlife habitat and enhancement. Lands managed by AFM are certified under either the Sustainable Forestry Initiative® (SFI®) or the American Tree Farm System (ATFS) programs.
AFM provides timber sale administration services which are specifically planned to achieve the owner’s objectives and conducted to receive the highest possible price for the timber offered for sale. When conducting a timber sale, our primary goal is to receive the highest possible price for the timber offered for sale with the constraints associated with the sale. Protecting the integrity of the property and preserving its long-term management options are key factors when evaluating all timber sale options. All timber sale activities are designed to protect water quality and site productivity by adhering to the Best Management Practices (BMPs) as outlined by each state’s department of forestry.
In addition to timber harvesting, AFM offers other forest management services such as:
- Forest Inventory
- Conducted in the field by our foresters, with support from our various technical specialists. Inventories are custom designed to determine timber volume information and capture property attributes important to the landowner.
- AFM can design and implement a timber inventory to meet the client’s needs regardless of ownership size. Timber inventories are designed to survey stand structure, age class, species composition and volume totals. AFM uses a number of industry standard inventory and timber cruise software packages and growth models to calculate existing and future volumes and forest conditions. AFM performs extensive timber surveys on large ownerships, as well as intensive surveys on small acreages. These timber cruises are often used to evaluate current stocking, calculate long-term timber yields for sustainability, appraise timber value, calculate timber depletion values to reduce tax liability and to estimate volume produced from a timber sale.
- Property Mapping
- AFM uses state of the art digital mapping services known as Geographic Information System or GIS. We can produce a timber type map for clients and include boundaries, roads, water bodies, critical wildlife habitat, topography and other features.
- Global Positioning System (GPS) devices are used to properly locate properties on a map.
- AFM can supply maps in both Adobe Reader (PDF) and paper format as well as property boundaries in digital format (KML) suitable for viewing the property location in internet-based Google Earth, Garmin GPS and map products, and other software.
- Owners of multiple forest properties can consolidate their mapping into one digital file to facilitate planning and property records.
- Our GIS mapping and analysis capability is used to support our foresters with forest management and timber inventory activities. GIS mapping has become an integral part of our company’s business. In today’s complex regulatory climate, the analysis of spatial data before going into the field saves our clients time and money.
- Based on the information collected from the property inventory, our mapping department can produce property maps that are used for several aspects of property ownership. These can include hunt club maps, soils maps, wetlands maps and tract maps with national wetlands inventory overlays.
- Harvest Scheduling
- Performed within the management parameters determined by AFM foresters and the owner’s objectives using commercially developed and customized software packages.
- Timber and Land Appraisals
- Used to provide estimates of current and future market values of existing merchantable and premerchantable timber and land.
- Timber Sales
- Specifically planned to achieve the owner’s objectives and conducted to receive the highest possible price for the timber offered.
- Designed to match site capabilities and ownership objectives, and based on species, condition and quality of present timber stand as well as competing vegetation.
- Ecological Services
- For clients who are in need of assistance regarding the endangered species act, wetland regulations or other federal, state or local regulations, we offer biological assessments, environmental assessments, environmental impact statements and conservation management plans that are tailored to address specific projects, permit requests or letters of concurrence.
- Land Sales
- In each of our offices, there are personnel dedicated to the sale of rural acreage. AFM has an experienced team of licensed real estate salesmen and brokers in all southeastern states including MD, VA, NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, LA, AR, TX, and OK.
AFM has an experienced staff of over 140 forestry professionals operating throughout the Southeast with a wide range of experience and expertise in the consulting field.
- Company and staff certifications include:
- Registered Foresters
- Society of American Foresters Certified Foresters
- Association of Consulting Foresters
- Managers of Sustainable Forestry Initiative® Certified Forests
- Certified Tree Farm Inspectors
- Certified Prescribed Burner
- Licensed Real Estate Brokers and Salespersons
- Certified General Appraiser
- Timber Operations Professional (TOP) Logger Trained
- Private Pesticide Applicators License
- Master Timber Harvester Trained
- RABQSA Certified Lead Auditor
- SFI® Qualified Verifier
- Professional Logger Manager
- Memberships include:
- Forest Landowners Associations
- State Forestry Associations
- Forest Resources Association
- Forest Productivity Coop
- NC State University Tree Improvement Cooperative
- Hardwood Tree Improvement Research Cooperative
- Southern Forest Assessment Consortium
- The Wildlife Society
Appalachian – Jake Almond, Region Manager
Jake Almond is a graduate of North Carolina State University with over 31 years of forestry experience. He is a Registered Forester in North Carolina, South Carolina and West Virginia; a Licensed Real Estate Broker in Kentucky, Tennessee and West Virginia; and a Certified Prescribed Burner in Florida and South Carolina. He serves on the Board of the Forest Landowners Association, Vice President/Board Member of the Tennessee Forestry Association; a member of the Association of Consulting Foresters, the Society of American Foresters, and the South Carolina, North Carolina and Tennessee Forestry Associations.
Kingston, TN – Jake Almond, Region/District Manager
103 Barrie Lane, Kingston, TN 37763
Cedartown, GA – Greg Fuller, Area Manager
522 North Main Street, Suite 201, Cedartown, GA 30125
Dayton, TN – Mike Williford, District Manager
440 Market Street, Dayton, TN 37321
Madison, WV - Terry Elkins, Area Manager
One Avenue C Building, Suite 106, Madison, WV 25130
Parsons, WV - Todd Lotter, Area Manager
194 Main Street, Parsons, WV 26287
Prosperity, WV – Scott Bosley, District Manager
464 Prosperity Road, Prosperity, WV 25909
Gulf – Chuck Mathis, Region Manager
Chuck Mathis, a lifelong resident of the Florida panhandle with 26 years of forestry experience, earned his A.A., Forestry, from Chipola Junior College and his B.S. in Forest Resources and Conservation from the University of Florida. He is a registered forester in Alabama and Mississippi, a Society of American Foresters Certified Forester, a Licensed Real Estate Broker in Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi and Broker-In-Charge for Florida. He currently serves as Holmes County GRO Chairman for the Florida Forestry Association
Marianna, FL – Chuck Mathis, District/Region Manager
4962 Old Spanish Trail Road, Marianna, FL 32448
Lynn Haven, FL – Ray Sharp, Area Manager
2518 HIghway 77, Suite 3, Lynn Haven, FL 32444
Prattville, AL – Stephen Burdette, District Manager
1813 Glynwood Drive, Prattville, AL36066
Meridian, MS – Jimmy Murphy, Area Manager
4206 Highway 39 North, Suite B, Meridian, MS 39301
North Atlantic Region – David Anderton, Region Manager
David Anderton brings over 36 years experience to his role as AFM’s North Atlantic Region Manager. He earned his B.S. in Biology from the University of Richmond, his M.F in Forest Management from Duke University and his M.B.A. from Elon College. He is a registered forester in Maryland and North Carolina; a Licensed Real Estate Broker in Maryland, North Carolina and Virginia. He is a member of the Association of Consulting Foresters and the Virginia and North Carolina Forestry Associations. David is the Past Chairman of the Triangle Chapter of the Society of American Foresters and Former President, Duke University School of the Environment Alumni Association.
Richmond, VA – David Anderton, Region/District Manager
591-A Southlake Blvd., Richmond, VA 23236
Danville, VA – Carolyn Moon, District Manager
612A Piney Forest Road, Danville, VA 24540
Troy, VA – Fred Schatzki, Forester
P.O. Box 992, Troy, VA 22974
South Hill, VA – Kyle Parshall
113 N. Brunswick Avenue South Hill, VA 23970
Mid-Atlantic/Carolinas Region – John Cheatham, Region Manager
John Cheatham, a native of Edgefield County, has been with AFM for 35 years. He earned his AAS from Horry-Georgetown Technical College. John is a registered forester in Georgia and South Carolina; a real estate broker in Georgia and South Carolina; a SC prescribed fire manager, an American Tree Farm Qualified Inspector, a member of the SIC/SFI committee and the South Carolina Forestry Association.
Edgefield, SC – John Cheatham, District Manager
259 Bausket Street, Edgefield, SC 29824
Aynor, SC - Craig Morrison, District Manager
608 8th Avenue, Aynor, SC 29511
Bennettsville, SC – Fred Beck, District Manager
359 SC Highway 9 West, Bennettsville, SC 29512
Charlotte, NC – Chris Manus, District Manager
8702 Red Oak Blvd., Suite C, Charlotte, NC 28217
Maiden, NC – Chris Manus
3267 Ivey Creek Road, Maiden, NC 28650
Chester, SC – Brent Reed, District Manager
1645 J.A. Cochran Bypass, Suite C, Chester, SC 29706
Hope Mills, NC – Eric Clark, District Manager
3700 S. Main Street, Hope Mills, NC 28348
Sumter, SC – Bill Gaskins, District Manager
407 N. Pike Road East, Sumter, SC 29153
Troy, NC – Jamie Lytton, Forester
409 Shiloh Church Road, Troy, NC 27371
Walterboro, SC – Sam Carlton, District Manager
2096 Cottageville Highway, Walterboro, SC 29488
3454 Main Highway, Bamberg, SC 29003
South Atlantic – Mike Calder, Region Manager
Mike Calder brings over 28 years of experience to his role as South Atlantic Region Manager. He is a Georgia Registered Forester, a Florida Licensed real Estate Salesperson and a Florida Certified Prescribed Burner. He earned his AS, Forestry, from Horry-Georgetown Technical College and his B.A. in Business Management from Saint Leo University. Mike is a member of the Florida Forestry Association and a graduate of the South Carolina State Fire School.
Alachua, FL – Mike Calder, Region/District Manager
13570 NW 101st Drive, Suite 500, Alachua, FL 32615
Folkston, GA – Steve Davis, Area Manager
35279 Okefenokee Drive, Folkston, GA 31537
Macon, GA – Nathan Greer, Real Estate Broker
125 Plantation Center Dr., Suite 700A, Macon, GA 31210
Ormond Beach, FL, - Colin Gordon
1042 N. US Highway 1, Suite 1, Ormond Beach, FL 32174
Sandersville, GA – Jason Alexander, District Manager
300 Waco Drive, Sandersville, GA 31082
Statesboro, GA – John Hurlebaus, District Manager
1161 Sarahlyn Lane, Suite B, Statesboro, GA 30461
Valdosta, GA, - Andrew Boudousquie
3971 Inner Perimeter Road, Suite C, Valdosta, GA 31602
106 Queen Street, Suite 8, Vidalia, GA 30474
Tennessee Valley – Merrill Nall, Region Manager
Merrill Nall, Tennessee Valley Region Manager, brings 33 years experience to managing forestland in southwestern Tennessee and northern Alabama/Mississippi. An Alabama native, he earned his Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Forestry from Auburn University. He is a registered forester in Alabama and Mississippi, an Alabama licensed real estate salesperson and a member of both the Alabama and Tennessee Forestry Associations.
Russellville, AL – Steve Archer, District Manager
1055 Highway 36, Russellville, AL 35653
Waynesboro, TN – Tony Gant, District Manager
208 Clifton Turnpike, Waynesboro, TN 38485
Texas – Rodney Schroeder, Region Manager
Rodney Schroeder brings over 36 years of experience to his position as Texas Region Manager. He earned his Bachelor of Science degree in Forestry from Stephen F. Austin State University. He is a member of the Board of Directors and Executive Committee of the Texas Forestry Association, Past Chairman of Texas Tree Farm Committee, Texas Forestry Political Action Committee, Past President of the Texas Forestry Association and has served on various state forestry advisory committees.
Tyler, TX – Rodney Schroeder, Region/District Manager
104 Jordan Plaza Blvd., Suite 401, Tyler, TX 75704
El Dorado, AR – Terrell Baker, Area Manager
202 North Washington, Office 107, El Dorado, AR 71730
Groveton, TX – Michael Posey, Area Manager
133 South Devine, Groveton, TX 75845